Friday, November 18, 2011

Caramel Pumpkin Pie

Sometimes I'm a blond.  I try really hard not to be.  I was born as a blond but the older I get the darker my hair is and the more serious people think I am.

I try to keep up that persona but sometimes it gets the better of me.  Like yesterday.  I was at the gym (yes I go to the gym, it's the only way I can eat stuff like this and not gain 20 lbs!) and the instructor said, "Hope you have a great Thanksgiving next week."

Me, thinking I'm so smart, says, "Oh that's funny Thanksgiving is not next week."

And the instructor kindly says, "Yes it is next week" with a very funny look on her face.

S.E.R.I.O.U.S.L.Y.

Where have I been?

So in honor of Thanksgiving next week here is a pie that we loved.  The caramel is fantastic with the pumpkin.  It is perfect combination and my kids asked for thirds it was that good.

Caramel Pumpkin Pie


Crust:
1 package cinnamon graham crackers (about 9)
1/3 c. butter, melted
Filling:
3 large eggs
1 c. heavy cream
One 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Caramel Whip Cream:
28 caramels, unwrapped
1 3/4 c. heavy cream, divided

1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, for grating

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.  Crush graham crackers until they are all fine crumbs (I use my food processor and it works great).  Put in your pie pan and mix with butter until well combined. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes; let cool completely.

2. Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the 3 eggs, 1 cup cream, pumpkin, brown sugar, spices and salt until just combined. Pour into the cooled pie shell and bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes. When you shake the pan, the filling should no longer be jiggly. Let the pie cool at room temperature slightly, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.

3. In a bowl, microwave the caramels with 1/2 cup cream until melted, 2 to 3 minutes- adding 1 minute increments, if needed, if they are still not completely melted. Stir until smooth, then let cool to room temperature.

4. Using an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1 1/4 cups cream until soft peaks form. Drizzle in the cooled caramel and beat until well blended. Spoon the caramel whipped cream on top of the pumpkin filling and refrigerate until completely chilled. Before serving, coarsely grate the chocolate on top of the pie and drizzle with more caramel.  Enjoy!

Source: slightly adapted from Recipe Girl

Blogging tips