Monday, November 21, 2011

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Pie

I think pies are the culmination of Thanksgiving and they are what I devote most of my time to.

I love pies and will always pick them over cake.  

Growing up, the only kind of cake I would ever have for my birthday was Strawberry Shortcake but I usually picked some kind of pie.

I don't know what it is about pie but it speaks to me.  It speaks to my stomach, my mouth, and to my brain, saying "you are amazing".  I think it's because there are so many different kinds of pie.  There are yummy chocolate pies, there are fruit pies, their are nutty pies, there are vegetable pies (ie; pumpkin), and you can have them with all sorts of crusts--pretzel, regular, graham crackers, pastry, etc.  

See what I mean--so many ways to eat this deliciousness and why limit yourself to 2 months of the year.  I make them all year round and I love it.

This pie met all my expectations of pie-ness.  Decadent and filled with chocolate goodness.  This would be amazing on your Thanksgiving table and I'm sorry if you eat 5 pieces of it (because you just might!).
Note:  Use the best chocolate you can find.  It will make a difference in your pie.

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Pie


3 cups (about 4 oz) broken pretzel sticks
3/4 cup light brown sugar, divided and lightly packed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
Pinch of salt
2 1/2 cups whole milk 
4 egg yolks
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1-1/4 cups + 2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar

1.  Heat oven to 350°F. In a food processor combine pretzels, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and melted butter. Blend until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake crust until fragrant and just turning golden, about15 minutes. Cool completely.

2.  In a medium saucepan whisk together 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, salt, and milk.  Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is just dissolved, about 2 minutes.  Whisk in egg yolks.  Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and just boils, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in bittersweet chocolate and vanilla.  Place pan in a bowl of ice and water and stir occasionally until custard cools to room temperature.

3.  While custard cools, make a chocolate ganache to cover pie crust. Place chopped semi sweet chocolate in medium bowl. Heat 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream in microwave about 30-40 seconds, just until it boils.  Pour warm cream over chocolate and stir until melted.  Pour over cooled pie crust, using rubber spatula to help spread chocolate up the sides and over entire bottom of crust. Place in refrigerator or freezer until set. 

4.  Pour custard into cooled crust with hardened ganache and press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Chill until firm, 4 hours or up to a day.

5.  Right before you are ready to serve, whip cream and confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form, spread over pie and garnish with extra pretzels and chocolate shavings.  Enjoy!

Source: Tidy Mom

Blogging tips