Friday, December 2, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

 We are on a cookie kick at our house.

Usually they are made, maybe once a month and that is by the hubs.  I'm not very good at making cookies--for some reason we just don't mix.  I haven't been able to figure it out completely but I came to one conclusion the other day: I'm not good at them because I am not a patient person by nature.

You know I just can't stick them in the oven one time and they are done, I have to do it several times and then I am bored, so I forget about them and they are hard and crunchy.  Who wants to eat hard and crunchy cookies--no one at this house.

So I have been on a mission to get over my lack of cookie makingness and be a better cookie baker.

I made these all by myself, no help from the hubs here because he is already very good at being a cookie baker, and they were fantastic.  They are our new go to cookie.  They are soft, chewy, and the chocolate to peanut butter ratio was AAAHHHMAZING!!  

The whole family was in heaven and these will definitely be making to our neighbor gift list--that is if any make it out the door without having bites in them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookie


1 1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
6 tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
6 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. milk
2 c. coarsely chopped peanut butter cups, divided*

*Note: I prefer to freeze the peanut butter cups after I chop them.  It helps them stay intact while you mix them into the dough. 

1.  Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats, parchment paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, peanut butter, and sugars.  Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and milk.  Blend until smooth.  With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  Add in 1½ cups of the chopped peanut butter cups and fold in gently with a spatula.

2.  Use a large dough scoop, about 3 tablespoons, drop rounds of dough onto the baking sheets,  2-3 inches apart.  Gently press a few pieces of the reserved peanut butter cups into the top of each of the dough balls.  Bake 12-14 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking.  The cookies may seem too soft immediately after coming out of the oven but they will set as they cool.  You don’t want to overbake them.  Let cool on the baking sheets about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.  Enjoy!

Makes about 16 large cookies.

Source:  Annie's Eats

Blogging tips