Monday, February 20, 2012

Coconut Nutella Cookies

Happy Birthday to my baby today!!

He's not really a baby after all, he is 5 but he's the youngest and I reserve the right to call him my baby for as long as I want to, after all I am the mom :).

He is so cute, this baby of mine.  I have asked him for several weeks what he wants me to make for dinner, for his cake, and for his presents.  Since he is 5, he has quite the opinions now.  

Finally after much coaxing, he made up his mind.  He loves food like his mom and had a hard time coming up with what he wanted.  But he made it and this is what he decided on:
Breakfast (he loves this more than any other meal of the day): eggs--this boy could eat eggs every morning if I would let him.
Dinner: chicken nuggets (and not the homemade kind--this was after he first asked for prime rib. silly boy!)
Cake: brownies and ice cream (sweet for me--no work and we all love it)
Presents: Legos (easy peasy!)

So here's to me having a 5 year old and a soon to be kindergartener, which means no kids at home in the mornings.  Whoa!!

And here's another cookie recipe for you.  The 5 year old loves nutella which is a creamy delight in the middle of these lovely cookies.  I am just loving having more of a cookie repertoire because after all, who doesn't love a warm, gooey cookie.

Coconut Nutella Cookies


1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
6 tbsp. sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
1 1/2 c. flour + 2 Tbsp.
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup Nutella
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
sprinkles, optional

1.  Cream shortening and sugars in a large mixing bowl for about 1 minute. Add egg, milk, and coconut extract and beat well combined until creamy. Slowly add the baking soda, salt, and flour. Stir in the coconut, until well combined.

2.  Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and set on wax paper. Make an indentation in the center of each ball, I just used my thumb. Fill with a small amount of nutella. Cover the nutella with a small flattened piece of cookie dough. Seal the edges and roll into a ball again. (the dough is very sticky to work with so I just keep putting a small amount of water on my hands to help)

3.  Place the dough balls onto an ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375°F for 9-10 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.

4.  Melt white chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl. Spoon into a plastic baggie and cut the tip off. Drizzle cookies with chocolate and add sprinkles, if wanted. Keep in a sealed container for best taste. Enjoy!

Makes about 30 cookies.

Source: Bru Crew Life
Blogging tips