Monday, March 19, 2012

Dulce de Leche

How was your St. Patrick's Day?

We kept it pretty low key around here since we are in crazy mode till the end of June. 

If I am ever missing around here for awhile you'll know why, it's this thing I am in charge of called Stake Girl's Camp!!  One of the awesome parts is that I get to be with 100 12-17 age girls AND I get to pick the head cook--which I am so excited about.  

You know cause it's essential (in my world at least) to have great food while your camping.  I don't think I could survive for 5 days with crappy food!  I'm serious I might send myself home :)

But back to this sweet sauce.  I finally bit the bullet and made some of this goodness myself.  You see I have had it bookmarked and pinned to try for ages but have just not got around to it so I made myself do it.  And guess what--it was super easy, at least the second time.

The first time I tried this method and it was an absolute failure (let me know if any of you have tried it that way--maybe I just messed up somewhere).  No matter what, it would thicken and turn this beautiful brown color so I did what any great cook does....threw a fit and started over!

The next time I tried this version and it worked so much better.  The dulce de leche was perfect and delicious, perfect to dip apple in.  So yummy!!

Dulce de Leche


1 can of sweetened condensed milk

Note: You can cook 2-3 cans at a time if you wish.

1.  Remove all labels from the can[s] of sweetened condensed milk.  Place the can in a crock pot and fill water so the can is completely submerged.  Cook on low for 8 hours, leaving lid on the entire time.  Once done remove the can with tongs because the metal will be extremely hot.  Let cool on cooling rack for 45-50 minutes and open carefully with a can opener.  Serve with fruit, in frosting, in a pie, the possibilities are endless.  Enjoy!
Blogging tips