Friday, March 16, 2012

German Chocolate Cookies

 Have you heard the news?!!?

The engineers of Picnik (which is closing next month) have started a new website called PicMonkey.

YEAH!

I am so excited because I have never bit the bullet and bought a professional editing software.  They scare me too much--silly I know, but it's true.

So I have always used Picnik and I loved their services and was so sad to hear they were closing but now we have PicMonkey.  I have just started using them and I have loved everything I have tried.  It's very user friendly and perfect for users like me.

And the best part...It's totally free.  Yep, completely free to use whatever you want right now.  I encourage to head on over and check them out.

Now this cookie is a piece of heaven for me.  I LOVE german chocolate cake so this cookie was perfect.  Little bites of pecans, coconut and chocolate in round pieces of goodness.  I got this recipe from my friend Lynn and we have enjoyed it thoroughly (at least the hubs and I because the kids won't touch nuts in cookies with a ten foot pole--silly kids!!  More for me :)

German Chocolate Cookies

(click here for printable version)

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup pecans, chopped
4 ounces Baker's german chocolate, chopped

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.  Put pecans in single layer in a baking dish and place in preheated oven.  Bake until toasted and light brown, about 5-10 minutes, and stirring every 2-3 minutes.  Watch carefully because they will burn quickly.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

2.  In medium bowl cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.  In another medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.  Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture and combine until no dry streaks remain.

3.  With wooden spoon, stir in coconut, toasted pecans, and chocolate and completely combined.  Drop by tablespoon or medium scoop on silpat liner or greased cookie sheet.  Bake 9-11 minutes.  Remove and let sit 2 minutes on baking sheet before removing to cooling rack.  Enjoy!
Blogging tips