Friday, April 27, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

 I think I have explained before my love affair with strawberry shortcake.

I am the biggest sucker for it.  And I mean the good stuff.  None of this angel food cake stuff, a delicious, moist cake with sweet strawberries and real whipped cream.

That is just heaven to me.

Needless to say when I saw these bad boys on Pinterest I couldn't resist.  I immediately made them (thank heavens I had just been to the store and picked up some strawberries) and they turned out flat as a pancake and ridiculous looking.

I'm not kidding.  I was ticked!  I followed the recipe exactly and ugliness.  They tasted great but looked horrific.  But I wanted these cookies, so I made up another batch and changed some things (okay pretty much everything) and they were beautiful.

Yeah!!  

So note to self: if something doesn't turn out, don't be afraid to try it again.  I'm so glad I did.  We absolutely loved these

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies


1 1/2  cups strawberries, hulled and cut in 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp sugar (I used vanilla sugar and it was fantastic)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter-flavored Crisco (trust you want the butter flavored version)
2/3 cup plus 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream (half and half is also fine)

1.  Preheat oven to 375°F.  Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.  Set aside.

2.  Combine strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl and set aside.

3.  In large bowl whisk flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers, cut Crisco into flour mixture until coarse crumbs are formed.  Stir in cream until the dough starts to come together, then gently fold in strawberries. Important: don't pour the juice in that is at the bottom of the strawberry bowl.  Carefully add only the strawberries.

4.  Using a medium scoop (a 1 1/2 inch), drop dough on cookie sheets, spacing evenly.  Bake 16-18 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Enjoy!

* Note:  these are best eaten the day of.

Adapted from: Kelsey's Apple A Day
Blogging tips