Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Baked Brown Rice

 It seems like we are full of birthdays around here--well 'cause it's kinda true.  So this is a shout out to my wonderful Mother who just turned 29 (well at least for 24 years now :)!!

My mom introduced me to this recipe.  Now don't say, "oh I hate brown rice and I will never eat that and that's totally disgusting and....so on" because this recipe has completely changed how I feel about brown rice.

It's never been my favorite thing and my kids hate it when I make it.  But not anymore.  I LOVE this.  The rice is moist, fluffy, and so tasty with a slightly nutty flavor.  So delicious.  I could even eat it by itself, it's that good!

Baked Brown Rice

(click here for printable version)


INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1.  Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8X8-inch or 9X9-inch baking pan. Place the rice in the prepared pan and pour in the liquid. Stir to equally distribute the rice. Cover tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for five minutes before removing the aluminum foil and fluffing with a fork. If your rice still has a bit of liquid on the bottom or conversely, if it is dried out, adjust the baking time up or down to fix the problem.  Enjoy with your favorite main dish!

Notes: Makes about 3 1/2 cups of cooked rice.  Also it doubles wonderfully in a 9x13 pan.

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Blogging tips