Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chili-Lime Mango Chicken Skewers

 Sometimes are you ever at a complete loss of words?

Today is one of those days.  Everything that comes out of my mouth starts with "like..." or "um..." because I just don't know what to say.

And it's all in an amazing way.  Today I just feel particularly blessed. 

And I just wanted to share that with all of you.  I feel so blessed to have so many wonderful readers that come back day after day and leave great comments.  It totally makes my day and sometimes it just melts my heart to know that you are out there.

So thank you.  Thanks for letting me ramble on, thanks for making recipes, and thanks so much for letting me share my love of cooking and baking with you.

I love you all.  Pretty cheesy I know--but this mood happens only randomly and instead of trying to suppress it and come up with a funny story to share, I just thought I would pass the sentiments on.

But enough of sappiness.  We love mangoes at our house so this was a total winner in our book.  I love the zing the chili-lime sauce gives the chicken and I love pretty much anything on the grill.  Great for a summer bbq.

Hey and I got featured on GoNannies.com for my kid-friendly crockpot recipes.  Go check it out!!

Chili-Lime Mango Skewers

(click here for printable version)


6 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Zest of 1 lime
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional but it does give it a nice zing!)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 ripe but firm mangoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

1.  First, if you’re using wooden/bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in water for 20-30 minutes before you use them so they won't burn up on the grill.

2.  In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, cayenne,
salt and sugar. Place in a zip-lock bag and add chicken and mangoes, stirring gently to
coat with marinade. Seal and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.

3.  Heat grill to medium high heat (making sure to clean off your grill racks).  Remove the chicken and mangoes from the marinade and thread onto skewers, alternating the pieces (as a note: when you’re making any type of skewer, make sure not to smash everything together tightly. In order for the food to cook thoroughly and evenly, it needs room. Each piece should just barely touch each other, or not touch at all).


4.  Arrange the skewers on the grill and cook, turning until the chicken is nicely charred and
cooked through, 6-10 minutes.  Serve immediately and enjoy!

Source: Our Best Bites

Blogging tips