Monday, August 20, 2012

Chocolate Zuchinni Cookies

 This is such a weird zucchini year for us.  

You see I usually plant 1 zucchini plant so I can have it on hand for summer recipes.  This year I decided I wouldn't do that since my friend Tara has had them coming out her ears (and she said I could have some :).  Well Tara moved away, this is me very sad :(, which meant all her zucchini plants were left with the new owners.

So here we are at the height of zucchini season and I have no zucchini.  So sad, huh!

I mean I could buy it...but really who buys zucchini this time year.  People are usually trying to give it away and leaving it on random people's door steps just to get rid of it.  But this girl...none.

I finally gave in and bought two at a farmer's market here in town so I could make these delicious cookies.  My kids even loved the zucchini in them--which they usually throw a fit about--but it makes the cookies so moist and delicious.  A perfect way to use up your extra zucchini, that is if you have any.

Chocolate Zucchini Cookies

(click here for printable version)


1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 cups quick oats
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 small)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners (or spray with nonstick cooking spray).

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and cocoa. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, oil, and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients.  Add oats and mix on low speed. Continue mixing on low speed and add zucchini. Mix until well combined.

4. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Bake 11-14 minutes until center of cookie no longer looks wet. Cool 10 minutes on cookie sheets before removing to cooling racks.  Enjoy!

Source: Crazy for Crust
Blogging tips