Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Homemade Maple Syrup

 We go through a lot of maple syrup at our house.  And it's never the boughten kind.

Growing up we always made a simple syrup with maple flavoring.  It's very easy to make and can be thrown together when you run out.  

When I came upon this more involved recipe (but still very simple) I knew this would be my new favorite homemade version.  I love that it makes a ton.  It just sits in my fridge until we are ready for the next jar.  And I love that it tastes absolutely delicious.  

I made the first batch when my husband and I were out of town for a week.  I didn't want to babysitter to run out so it was a perfect time to try it.  The best part was when we got home, my 5 year old came tearing out the door and the first words out of his mouth were, "Mom we didn't run out of syrup!".

So glad he was happy to see me :).

Homemade Maple Syrup

(click here for printable version)


8 cups granulated sugar
1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 cups water
2 tsp pure maple extract (can use mapeline flavoring with similar results)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1.  In a large 5-6 quart pot, combine the sugars, honey and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low so the mixture gently simmers. Cover the pot and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 20 minutes before stirring in the maple and vanilla extracts. Let the syrup cool in the pot for another 40 minutes, or so, stirring occasionally, before filling jars/containers. Once the containers are filled, let them cool to room temperature uncovered.

2.  Store covered in jars or other containers in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. Gently reheat before serving, if desired.  Makes 10 cups of syrup.  Enjoy!

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Blogging tips