Sometimes a girl just needs to suck it up and make something amazing!
You see these Rolo's have been sitting in the pantry for awhile just begging to be made into something. (And bless my little heart--I didn't even eat any--well until I start making this deliciousness :)
I just couldn't decide what to make with them--cookies, ritz amazingness, cake, dip, cupcakes, and then it hit me. The hubs had a work party and he signed us up for dessert. Perfect. Cupcakes it is!
These were an absolute hit. Everybody thought they were in heaven and the Judge asked me afterwards if he would take one home to his wife (who is a caterer so I was impressed that he thought she would like them), which I said, "sure, go ahead" and then I spied him going home with 4. Sweet!
The best part is that you find a surprise in the middle. Love it.
(click here for printable version)
1 package Devil’s Food Cake mix
1 (5.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp of vanilla
24 frozen Rolos (freeze for at least 2 hours before making cupcakes)
8 tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
4-5 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 caramel syrup
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla
24 Rolos for garnish
1. To make cupcakes, preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs, water and vanilla until well combined and smooth. Evenly divide the batter amongst the prepared pans.
3. Gently push a frozen Rolo into the center of the batter and smooth the surface making sure to cover the candy with batter. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch. Cool cupcakes thoroughly on wire rack.
4. To make the frosting, cream the butter in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer. Add the vanilla, salt and caramel syrup and combine well. Slowly pour in whipping cream and beat for one minute. Begin adding in powdered sugar until stiff peaks are formed. Set aside.
5. To make ganache, in a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the heavy cream until very hot, but not boiling. Place chocolate pieces in a heat safe bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes. Whisk the cream and chocolate until smooth and thoroughly combined. Whisk in the sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Do not let the ganache sit for too long or it will harden up before you spoon it over the frosting.
6. To assemble, when cupcakes are completely cool, pipe frosting (I use an extra large tip) onto each cupcake, spoon the ganache on the tops of the frosted cupcakes, allowing it to drip down the sides a little bit, and then top each cupcake with a Rolo.
7. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator. Remove them to room temperature one hour before serving. Enjoy!
Source: adapted from Brandy's Baking