Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili

Oh my word, the wind is howling outside my window and the rain is pouring.  I guess fall has officially begun.

And it's so nice that I can be huddled inside warm and cozy.  I love crockpot meals this time of year.  Especially because I just got 40 lbs of chicken and this recipe was perfect to try out my chicken.

I love sticking something in in the morning and having such a yummy smell in my house by dinnertime.  The kids love it too when they come home from school and smell something delicious for dinner.  And we can't usually go wrong with crockpot and chicken combined.  Even my daughter that swears she doesn't like meat will eat a little of bit of chicken.

Funny story about her.  She takes after my sister Emily--the one who posts occasionally for me on this little blog (and who had a birthday yesterday and is the big 21).  Emily eats a little meat but has had a huge aversion to touching it.  So Sarah, my daughter, was talking to me in the kitchen while I was starting to trim the chicken the other day(it's all boneless, skinless breasts but they still have some fat that I like to remove).  All of a sudden she starts gagging and has to run out of the room.  She comes back into me and says that watching me cut up chicken was making her want to throw up.  Oh the silly girl!

Anyways...this chicken taco chili was fantastic.  We served it over rice because my kids absolutely adore rice, but it is fantastic by itself too.  It is hearty and perfect for the fall.

Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili


1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
3-4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional

1. Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro, cheese, sour cream if wanted. Enjoy!

Source: Skinny Taste
Blogging tips