Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Lasagna Soup


Pin It

Sometimes things just don't turn out the way you imagine.  

Like a cupcake from the cupcake shop that looks absolutely fabulous and then you take a bite and gross!! It's so nasty.

Or when you've dreamed for ages about meeting someone and you finally do and you realize they're really not that cool after all.

Or you make a recipe that on paper should be fantastic but it tastes just plain disgusting.  Oh I hate that.

Or sometimes you make a recipe that seems okay but it tastes absolutely fantastic.  This recipe was that way for me.  I have been trying to branch out and try different soup recipes, hoping maybe that my younger kids will love them.

After I made this deliciousness I was so surprised.  It turned out so much better than I had even imagined.  I hope the picture does it justice because it was fantastic. We have had it at least once a month since I first made it, which if you know me, doesn't happen a lot since I am always trying new recipes. The boys have loved it. So now it's onto a soup that maybe my girls will love.

Lasagna Soup

(click here for printable version)

*Note: This soup is best served right after it's prepared. After it sits, it will get very thick.  If you have leftovers, just add a small amount of water before reheating.

1 pound ground sausage or beef (I used turkey sausage stuffed with cheese)
1 onion, chopped finely
1 bell pepper, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp brown sugar
4 cups chicken broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced stewed tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
7 lasagna noodles, broken up
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

1. In a large soup pot cook sausage, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, and garlic, over medium high heat until sausage is browned and the onions are translucent. Add thyme, brown sugar, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, italian seasoning, salt, and chicken broth to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat and let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Add your broken lasagna noodles (I used some macaroni noodles because I couldn't find my lasagna noodles) to the soup and let simmer again until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the grated Parmesan cheese to the soup and stir until cheese is completely melted.

3. Remove the soup from the stove. Ladle it into serving bowls and top with mozzarella cheese before serving and enjoy!

Source: Jamie Cooks It Up
Blogging tips