Friday, March 22, 2013

Carrot Cake Cookies

Growing up we had carrot cake once a year.  

And it was always on my Dad's birthday.  He L.O.V.E.S. carrot cake.  And usually I looked forward to it too.

Well as long as my mom didn't put in raisins and walnuts but of course that was my Dads favorite part. This year he had carrot cake once again for his birthday (and so did my carrot cake hating sister--I was so proud of her!) and it reminded me of that wonderful little dessert.

But...only the hubs and I like carrot cake so I was on a mission to find something my children would eat and something that didn't require having an entire cake sitting around.  And that's when it hit me.  

Cookies. But with carrots. Weird but hey in cake they are awesome.

Well I am proud to say these turned out fabulously.  And the best bart, the kids loved them and not one of them said anything about carrots being in there.  It does help that cream cheese is drizzled over the top but hey!  they have come along way. There is hope for them and I really hope you try these lovelies out. So delicious.

Carrot Cake Cookies

(click here for printable version)

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup white chocolate chips
Frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk
2-3 cups powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheets with silpat liners or parchment paper or spray with non stick cooking spray.  Set aside.

2. In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another large bowl cream sugars and butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add egg and mix well again. Stir in vanilla and grated carrots and completely combined.  With mixer on low, slowing add dry ingredients and mix until no dry streaks remain.  Stir in coconut and white chocolate chips.

3. Drop by tablespoon on baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until centers are set. Remove and let cool 2 minutes on baking sheets before letting cool completely on cooling rack.

4. To make frosting, in medium bowl whip cream cheese, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until the consistency you want.  Put frosting in piping bag (or in a Ziploc bag and cut off the corner) and pipe on cooled cookies. Enjoy!
Blogging tips