Monday, March 4, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

One of my favorite breakfasts ever is Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal.  I make it all year long much to my children's dismay.

But whenever I make it I always have 1/2 a can of pumpkin left over (you know cause I never buy the small can of pumpkin from the store because that would be way too easy).  

I'm ashamed to admit but most of the time it goes bad in the fridge.  I completely forget it's there and then before you know it it's growing mold (hopefully that's not too much info there).

This time I resolved to not let that baby go bad.  And of course the first I think of to make is a sweet bread.  My kids love it and I couldn't believe I hadn't ever posted a simple pumpkin chocolate chip bread before.  This bad boy was a hit for an after school snack and because it makes two loaves I sent the second with the hubs to work.  The chocolate chips are everyone's favorites but this bread is moist and completely delicious.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

(click here for printable version)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2/3 cup water
16 oz pureed pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 loaf pans (9x5 and I use stoneware which helps sweet breads cook much more evenly) and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl combine flour, wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Set aside.

3. In the bowl of stand up mixer, beat sugar, oil, water and eggs until completely combined. Add pumpkin and mix again. Slowly add dry ingredients and let mix until no dry ingredients remain.  Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter equally between two prepared pans, smoothing the top.  Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let sit in pans 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack and letting cool completely. Enjoy!

Blogging tips