Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gingerbread Pumpkin Waffles

Certain of my friends (you know who you are) think I am out of my mind for making a "real" breakfast every morning (I can't help that I am not a fan of cold cereal--nothing against those that are, I promise!).  It's just that that was the way I grew up.  So because of that we hardly ever have breakfast for dinner.  When I saw this recipe for Gingerbread Waffles I knew that I couldn't wait till the next morning so guess what Erika, I made them for dinner!  Aren't you so proud of me?!!?
Anyways...I 'm getting side-tracked...these were so fabulous.  I love gingerbread recipes this time of year so it was perfect, just a hint of gingerbread with just a hint of pumpkin.  I altered the recipe and added the pumpkin because it reminded me of this Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle I made in October.  If you don't have pumpkin, leave it out and it will be totally fine.
This recipe makes quite a few waffles (I can't remember exactly, I forgot to count but I'm thinking about 12) so with our leftovers, I stuck them in the freezer and used them as a quick breakfast on a different morning.  They froze wonderfully.

Waffles:
2 c. flour
¼ c. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
¾ t. salt
1½ t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
¼ t. grated nutmeg
¼ t. ground cloves
4 large eggs
6 T. butter, melted and cooled
1 c. milk
½ c. sour cream
3 T. unsulfured molasses
1/2 c. pureed pumpkin
Buttermilk Syrup:
1/2 c. butter
1 c. buttermilk
2 c. sugar
2 T. corn syrup
2 t. baking soda

Whipping Cream:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
3 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla
Cinnamon for garnish

1.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Whisk to blend.  In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, butter, milk, sour cream, molasses, and pumpkin and whisk to blend well.  Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk to combine until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.

2.  Preheat a waffle iron.  Fill waffle wells and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  Cook until crisp and golden.  Serve immediately with buttermilk syrup and whipping cream.

3. While waffles are cooking, make buttermilk syrup.  In LARGE (very important) saucepan combine butter, buttermilk, sugar and corn syrup.  Bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda.  Stir as fast as you can--it will foam A LOT.  Pour over pancakes and enjoy.

4.  For whipping cream: combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla in medium bowl and beat with electric hand mixer until peaks form. Put a dollop on top of your waffles and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Adapted from: Annie's Eats

Sharing this with: Quit Eating Out, Be Different Act Normal, Tatertots and Jello, Sew Chatty, The Girl Creative, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip To My Lou, Craft Edition, Beauty and Bedlam, We Love Iowa, Paisley Passions, Blue Cricket Design, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Ain't She Crazy.
Blogging tips