Friday, June 24, 2011

Homemade Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

Mrs. Stanger, this one's for you!

I think I have shared before how much my hubby likes ice cream.  He would eat a bowl of it everyday for the rest of his life if he could.  Unfortunately that has rubbed off on the kids too.  

Some days I feel like all I do is make food.  We have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.  Is that how it goes at your house too?

Well because of this ice cream obsession at our house, my kids think that that before bedtime snack should be some form of ice cream.  They will take it anyway: in a bowl, in a shake, on a cone, or probably right out of the container if I would let them.

I try to discourage it as much as possible but when the 4 year old breaks out in tears it's pretty hard to resist.  I think if I was denied this ice cream I would probably break out in tears too (I know, I know I said I didn't like ice cream all that much but this lovely little creation has chocolate AND peanut butter in it so were all good!).
This ice cream is amazing.  It is very peanut buttery which I love because if you are going to call it peanut butter ice cream, I better be able to taste the peanut butter.  It is very creamy and smooth which also gives it a plus in my book.  And now that it's officially summer and HOT, this is perfect for an evening.  Just be careful you have someone to share it with or you might eat all of it--I'm serious!

Homemade Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream


1 1/4 c. smooth peanut butter
3/4 c. granulated white sugar
1 1/4 c. whole milk
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. chopped chocolate peanut butter cups, chopped and frozen (8 to 10 regular-sized PB cups)

1. To make the base: In a medium mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine peanut butter and sugar until smooth. Add milk and mix on low until sugar is dissolved- a full two minutes. You don't want to be tasting crunches of sugar in your ice cream, so give it a chance to dissolve. Mix in heavy cream and vanilla and beat until well combined and smooth.

2. To process the ice cream: Turn on your ice cream machine, pour the base in the freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes. A couple of minutes before you're ready stop the mixing, add in the chopped, frozen peanut butter cups. The ice cream will be a soft-serve consistency. You can eat it right away, or freeze to eat later. If you freeze it for later, it will be more ice-cream-scoopable. Let it sit out for a few minutes before you try to scoop it.  Enjoy!

Source: Recipe Girl

Blogging tips