Monday, September 26, 2011

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

 Ahh...what a great weekend we had.  

My husband had a conference in Boise and I got to go with him.  I love times that we get to get away and spend some time without the kiddos.

He was in meetings all days for two days so I got do whatever the heck I wanted: read a book with no interruptions (heaven!!), watch some cooking shows (with no "this is boring, why can't we change the channel"), take a nap, or soak in the tub (with no knocking and asking for help with something).

Amazing!

I think being a mom makes you appreciate being able to do nothing at all.  No one to get a drink for, no one to fix a snack for, no one to help wipe, no one that needed me for two straight days.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I love going to back to them, but it's this kind of stuff that makes me a better mom and wife.  It makes me miss them and want to see them.  

And it makes me excited to get back to them and fix them some yummy food.  I love muffins and it's one of our favorite things in the mornings: muffins and some fruit.  I like to try out different ones and this turned out really good.  I would say that it's almost healthy.  Sweet!

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins


1 1/4 c, whole wheat flour
1 1/4 c. quick cooking oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. low-fat buttermilk
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen 

1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F.  Line a muffin pan with paper liners.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  In another bowl combine the applesauce, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and egg.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the applesauce mixture.  Stir together just until all dry ingredients are incorporated.  Gently fold in the blueberries with a rubber spatula.

2.  Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups.  Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

Source: Annie's Eats

Blogging tips