Monday, September 12, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies

Well we officially survived the first two days of school.  My kids started last Thursday, weird I know, but it gave us some last minute playing time at grandpa and grandmas.

I thought school (or staying at home for me) went quite well.  We had no major traumatic events, just a minor one that we survived with flying colors. 

You see, the night before school started I was cutting Sarah's bangs.  She had been asking me do it for several weeks now and I had been putting it off.  So after she got of the shower that night I just had her come in the kitchen and lean over the garbage can so I didn't have to clean up any hair.  First mistake.

I cut exactly where she wanted them, or so I thought.  Since she was leaning over they weren't in the right spot and I cut them a tad bit too short.  Nothing horrendous but still a little short.  She didn't mind until Kathryn, the younger sister, walked in and fell on the floor laughing.

I'm serious her bangs are really not THAT short but Kathryn thought it was funny.  So Sarah starts laughing with her for a minute but then all of the sudden she starts bawling, stomps to her room, and refuses to come out because everyone is going to notice how short her bangs are at school.

After an apology from Kathryn and much apologies from me she finally cheered up.  I thought everything was much better until the next morning.  When we tried to take pictures she would not smile and she would not let me take a picture of her in her classroom.  She was mortified that people would notice her.  

So after assuring her that no one would say anything about her bangs she went in to class and I prayed fervently that none one would say about word about them.  After school she was happy and she told me no one even noticed them.  Yeah!

So after that minor incidence I'm sure the rest of the year will be great.  As long as I don't cut bangs too short anyway!

Now how does this relate to this yumminess, well it doesn't but sugar fixes anything--at least at this house.  Remember those Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies my sister posted about here?  They are amazing especially if chocolate chip is your favorite cookie dough.  

Well my favorite cookie dough is peanut butter.  So I was craving peanut butter and chocolate one day and thought, what if I changed it to peanut butter.  So I made some modifications and bam! this was born.

I love them a lot but I also L.O.V.E. peanut butter and chocolate together.  There is nothing that quite compares to that combination in my stomach.

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies


Brownie:
4 eggs
1 c. canola oil
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. peanut butter chips

Filling:
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar, packed
3 T. milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Glaze:
2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. shortening

1.  In a large bowl beat the eggs, oil, and sugar.  Stir in vanilla.  Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in peanut butter chips.

2.  Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until brownies toothpick test done. Cool completely.

3.  For filling, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour and salt.  Spread over brownies (works best to just press out with clean hands.); chill until firm.

4.  For glaze, in a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening in 30 second intervals, stirring after each time, until smooth. Spread over filling.  Cut immediately and devour if you like gooey chocolate or let sit until chocolate is set and then enjoy!

Blogging tips