Monday, January 30, 2012

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes


Pin It
Ahhh....I love weekends. 

 The hubs and I got to spend the weekend away with friends and it was a blast.  I love how relaxed we get to be and that there is nothing pressing on my time (well as long as I don't think about it because believe me there are still many things I need to do, just things that don't have to be done right this second!).

Plus we have a tradition every Saturday morning.  The hubs makes pancakes and scrambled eggs.  He makes the most delicious eggs.  It's probably all the cheese he puts in them, but hey I won't complain, I don't have to make breakfast, which puts me in a great mood all day :).

Since we were going to be with friends, in a cabin, we decided to make everyone our traditional breakfast.  We made our new favorite pancake recipe.  These were heavenly.  I love adding buttermilk to pancakes, it makes them so moist, and this recipe is fairly healthy (egg white, whole wheat and little sugar or oil), which I will take any day so I can eat some delicious pancakes.  

This is also a great, quick, school morning kind of pancake.  It's fast to throw together and they freeze great.  I love sticking our extra pancakes in the freezer, in a ziploc bag, to pull out on mornings when we don't have much time.  So here's to weekends and being lazy!

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

(click here for printable version)


3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk *
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
Cooking Spray or butter for pan

*As a substitute for 1 cup buttermilk, place 1 tbsp. lemon juice (or vinegar but I prefer lemon juice) in a 1 cup measuring cup and then fill the remainder with milk.  This recipe calls for 1 1/2 cup buttermilk, so do the same thing with 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup milk.

1.  Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together.  In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla and whisk well.  Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until moistened and combined.

2.  Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet to medium heat.  Coat pan with non-stick spray or a little butter and then pour on pancake batter.  Use about 1/4 cup batter for large pancakes and 2 tbsp. for kid-sized ones.   Wait until bubbles form and edges are set and then flip.  Cook until done and enjoy!

Makes 12 large or 24 small pancakes.

Source: Our Best Bites
Blogging tips