Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Orange Beef Stirfry

We are loving chinese food lately at our house.

Maybe it's because I discovered that I love sweet peppers. They were one of those vegetables that I detested strongly as a kid but now, I can't go to the grocery store without buying some to snack on.  So yummy.

Or maybe it's because I got a rice cooker for Christmas from my sweet kiddos.  They were so excited to have me open it, especially my youngest.  He totally loves kitchen gifts too. I have loved having it and can't believe I survived this long without one.

No mess on the stove from it boiling over, no constantly watching it, no burned rice at the bottom, and it can cook up to 20 cups of cooked rice.  Amazing.

I love finding lots of ways to use my rice cooker (and to use my new favorite ingredient--peppers).  This recipe fit both my criteria and is a keeper.  The entire family loved it and it definitely goes on my rotation schedule.  Plus it is very quick to throw together and tastes fantastic. This and Broccoli Beef are my go to favorite Chinese recipes.

Orange Beef Stirfry

(click here for printable version)

*Note: Your cut of steak is very important.  The nicer and the fresher the cut is, the better your meat will taste.

1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp beef bouillon granules (or 1 cube beef bouillon crushed)
12 oz skirt steak or flank steak (see note above)
2 tsp canola oil
4 green onions, white and green parts chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
1 cup chopped carrots
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1/4 cup water

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar and beef bouillon. Set aside.

2. Thinly slice the beef across the grain (very important). Lightly salt and pepper beef slices. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until rippling and hot. Add the beef in a single layer. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until just cooked through, flipping and stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the beef to a plate.

3. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add green onions and garlic. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly, until fragrant. Add chopped broccoli, carrots, and red pepper. Add water, cover the skillet, and cook until the vegetables are tender but still firm, 2-4 minutes. Stir in the cooked beef. Whisk the sauce to recombine and stir it into the skillet. Toss the meat and vegetables to coat in the sauce and cook the mixture at a simmer until hot and the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Serve over hot, cooked rice immediately.  Enjoy!

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Blogging tips