Monday, March 11, 2013

Strawberry Oat Smoothie

 
Sometimes we are in need of a quick, yummy snack that will actually fills up the kid's tummies. We eat a variety of snacks (everything from granola bars to cookies to pull-aparts to fruit to veggies), but sometimes they need a change.

I totally don't blame them.  I hate eating the same thing day in and day out.  I am a variety kind of girl and I think my kids inherited that from me.

Plus some days I get so tired of hearing "I'm hungry" over and over again that I have to come up with a protein filled snack that will fill them up for several hours and I can have my peace and quiet.

Smoothies are at the top of our list for so many reasons.
1. There are so many ways to make them that we haven't gotten tired of them yet.
2. You can have them for breakfast.
3. You can have them for a snack.
4. You can totally tailor them to certain people's picky needs (not going to mention which child that is of mine!).
5. They are just down right yummy.

This is one of our favorite versions lately. And the best part.  Their tummies are completely full for at least 2 hours.  That's a record at this house.

Strawberry Oat Smoothie


* This makes 6 (8oz) portions

1 cup strawberries, washed, core removed, and quartered
1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup raw almonds
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup greek vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp maple syrup

1. Toss everything into a blender and let blend until completely smooth, at least 1-2 minutes.  Pour into cups and enjoy!
Blogging tips