Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta

 Almost every time I make a new recipe for the kiddos I always get the same comments over and over again. 

They go something like this:
"That looks gross" or "I don't like [insert whatever I happen to be making]" or "I'm sure I'm not going to like that" and the list goes on.

Most of the time I try to have something nice to say to them about it or just ignore it but sometimes that is the frosting on the cake and mom goes over the edge. Several weeks ago we had a particularly bad week with it.

I finally told them, "do you really think I try to make things you don't like?" And to give them credit almost every single time they try something new they actually like it .

Heck I have several kids that realized they like asparagus and cauliflower and bacon all because they tried something new. So to get over our bad week I decided to make something "new" that I knew that all of them would love. 

They loved this pasta. It was simple and easy to throw together but had a fantastic combination of flavors. I didn't get one negative comment which totally made my day!

Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta

(click here for printable version)


10-12 oz  pasta (like penne)
2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped (canned works awesome)
3/4 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/3 cup ranch dressing
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Cook pasta according to its package's directions. Drain and toss in cooked chicken and bacon.

2. To make the sauce, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.  When completely melted add flour and stir to combine.  Slowly pour in heavy cream and stir constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in Garlic salt, onion powder and ranch dressing until well combined.

3. Pour ranch alfredo over pasta, chicken and bacon. Stir to evenly combine. Add shredded cheddar cheese and stir until completely combined. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Serve and enjoy!

Source: Chef-in-Training
Blogging tips