Friday, December 24, 2010

Salted Double Chocolate Cookies

Are you ready for Christmas?
Are the presents wrapped?
Are your kids driving you nuts from the constant question of "how many days left"?
Are you enjoying the Christmas spirit in your home?
Is all your baking done?
What are you leaving for Santa?  
I would love to hear your answers.
In answer to the above questions: I am ready for Christmas (finally!!).  
The presents are not wrapped though--my husband and I do that together on Christmas Eve. 
 My kids are almost driving me nuts but I just keep reminding myself they are excited and I was the same way when I was their age.
I am loving the Christmas spirit, I love the look in the house with all the lights off except the Christmas tree.  I love the Christmas music playing in the background.  I love to see the excitement in my children's faces as the day gets closer. I love how my 3 year old carries around Baby Jesus from our nativity and loves to play with him.  
And my baking is finally done, it took awhile, but the treats are dropped off at friends and neighbors and I can't wait to eat the ones we recieved!
And last, but not least, we are leaving these for the Big Man but this year.  The kids voted on these cookies.  I was more than happy with their choice (hint, hint, wink, wink)!  These have great flavor and I love the sprinkle of salt on top.  I was very hesitant to put it on but it turned out great and adds to the chocolate, yummy!

8 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 T. butter
2/3 c. flour
½ t. baking powder
¾ t. sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
2 large eggs, at room temperature
¾ c. packed light brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
12 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats--these are the best invention ever, have you tried them?  Combine the 8 ounces chopped chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, and heat until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth, stirring occasionally.  (Alternatively, heat in the microwave in 25-second intervals, stirring in between.)  

2.  In another mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla.  Beat on medium-high speed until the sugar has completely dissolved, about 4-5 minutes.  Reduce the speed to low and add the melted chocolate mixture, blending until incorporated.  Add in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  Fold in the remaining chopped chocolate with a spatula.  Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2-3 inches apart (I used my medium-sized dough scoop).

3. Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the cookies are just slightly soft in the center and crackly on top, about 10-12 minutes.  Sprinkle lightly with additional salt and let cool on the baking sheets 10 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.  Enjoy!

Source: Annie's Eats
Blogging tips