Friday, February 4, 2011

Chicken-n-Bacon Pizza Rolls

At risk of offending all of you football fans out there, I have to admit something:

We don't watch the Super Bowl!

We are not NFL football fans (I put a classification on that because we are definitely College football fans--go BSU!).  I grew up in a house that went to every high-school football game (even when no family member was on the team) and I had 4 brothers that were all linemen.  We also zealously rooted for the Denver Broncos, but I guess none of that rubbed off on me.  My husband's family hardly ever watched NFL football.  So when we got married, it never even crossed our minds to even watch the Super Bowl.

The primary benefit of the Super Bowl in our house are all the amazing appetizer recipes that I find.  We have some friends that throw a "we're not watching the Super Bowl party" every year just so we can try many of those tasty appetizers.  This is what I am bringing.  They were absolutely amazing! I was a little worried about the kids eating them, because they're "different" (and with my kids that's not usually a good thing) but they ate an entire pie plate full of the pepperoni and cheese rolls.  They loved dipping them, I mean what person kid doesn't love to dip!

These would work great for dinner too.  You can make them to fit anyones likes or dislikes. My husband and I loved the chicken-n-bacon.  Great flavor and just pure yumminess!

1 roll refrigerated pizza dough, (or make your own)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. melted butter
Mozzarella cheese, cubed (fresh is awesome! we used 1/2 mozzarella and 1/2 cheddar because my husband loves his cheddar)
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 C. shredded, cooked chicken
3/4 C. mayo
3/4 C. milk
*or any other ingredients for your favorite pizza (pepperoni, pineapple, ham, peppers, sausage, onions, etc.)

1.  Take 1 teaspoon of your ranch dressing mix and combine it with 1 1/2 T parmesan cheese. Set aside. Combine the remaining ranch mix with mayo and milk and place in the fridge to chill.

2.  Preheat oven to heat specified on pizza dough package. If you are making your own, 425 degrees.
Unroll your pizza dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll the dough so it's about 12" by 8". You're going to want to cut it into 24 squares, so just eyeball it if you need to. Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into 24 squares.  Place cheese and desired toppings on each square.
3.  When all of your dough squares have cheese and toppings on them, carefully lift up each square and wrap the dough around the toppings.  I grab the four corners first and then squeeze the seams shut. Then place them seam side down in a lightly sprayed pie pan (or similar sized dish). Brush with melted butter sprinkle with the parmesan-ranch mixture.

4.  Place rolls in the oven. The baking time really depends on the type of dough you're using. Whether it's different brands from the store, or homemade dough, they all take different amounts of time. Set your timer for 10 minutes and check on them after that. They may take up to 15 or 20 to be done. Take them out when they're lightly golden on top.  Serve them warm with a side of pizza sauce for dipping.  If you're feeling adventurous, you can also use freshly made ranch dressing or, if you're my husband, bleu cheese dressing.
Enjoy!

Source:  Best Bites

Some other great appetizers for your party:

33 comments:

Amy Walton said...

That (and the commercials!) is the only reason I like the Superbowl, as well!! New fun recipes!
Once I had an (inevitably girls only) Anti-Superbowl Party where we had tons of fun little snacks and cocktails and only watched the commercials and halftime show! It was great.
My boyfriend doesn't care at all about football, either. Hallelujah!
This year I am trying crock pot bbq chicken wings and a mushroom dip.

Sourkraut said...

I must try these! We don't do the Super Bowl either so I love your idea of having an appetizer party to capitalize on the best part of the day.

Kendra said...

I don't watch the super bowl either. I just eat the yummy food! :)

THanks for stopping by my blog and following! Followin' back! :)

Chiara said...

I am in love with this recipe! Wow! I am so glad I found your blog, as cooking is my favorite creative outlet. : ) Thanks for your nice comment and following my blog. I just followed you too, and I look forward to many yummy recipes!

Miriam said...

I don't watch the Super Bowl either!! Great pizza rolls :). MiriamMeatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Looks great for anytime...of course I live where the Super Bowl is being played..disappointed fans with our all our snow!! So if we can get out I might take these to the Super Bowl party

Stacia said...

These look great! I might just have to make these next time I want pizza! :)

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Hi, I'm your newest follower. I love your blog and this recipe makes my mouth water.

Erin said...

WOW! These look absolutely delicious!!!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Oh my gosh, these look fabulous. We're vegetarians, but I bet I could find a way to make these. YUM!

Christy said...

So glad you swung by! I've been exploring (and loving) your recipes! Following you back, and really looking forward to collecting some great recipes!!

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas! said...

What a great recipe! It's all of my craving wrapped up in one package. I hope you have a great time at your "We're Not Watching.." party.

Thanks for adding this yummy treat to Sweets This Week!

Sarah

Wani said...

YUM!! My son will love helping me make these! And I will do anything to help him want to eat dinner! He's become so finicky! We're definitely going to try it soon! Thanks!

Chiara said...

I already left a comment, but I LOVED this recipe so much for this weekend, that I featured your post on my Friday Favorites! Thanks so much!
@calicoandcupcakes

West Hill Heritage said...

Love your blog - so I did get all the stuff to make the yummy pizza. So excited!!! Thanks for sharing

Brandie@thecountrycook said...

Haha - it's all about the food for me too!! These look so good and they are perfect for any day if you ask me!! :)

Michelle said...

I can't wait to try these.. thanks for the recipe!

West Hill Heritage said...

I made the dish for my family and they loved it - thanks so much. I did post about it on my blog and ref. it to you. Thanks

Trine Bean said...

What a brilliant idea! And a great way for me to curb my habit of buying those frozen pizza rolls from the store.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

These look really good. I wish I could have one now. Yum!

Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Recipes to Make Dining Out a Choice, Not a Chore} said...

What a GREAT recipe! I'm so anxious to try this for my family. With a side of our favorite marinara, this would be the perfect fun recipe to make with family or friends for a get together. Thanks so much for sharing this with Saturday Swap!! Have a super weekend.

Emily {WhipperBerry} said...

Okay you are a genius! I have to try these. Thanks for linking up!

Kristen said...

These look super delicious. I love all that wonderful cheese!

Emily {WhipperBerry} said...

I wanted to let you know we featured you on WhipperBerry today! You can check it out here . Come grab a featured button if you would like!

Prairie Patch said...

We don't watch the Superbowl either. Saw your yummy recipe over at Whipperberry. I make my own pizza dough and have been on the lookout for different types of pizza to try for my somewhat picky son. I know he'll like this one!

SnoWhite said...

What a great idea. These look great.

Lindsay said...

Just wanted to say hi! I am your newest follower - and I can't wait to try some of these recipes. Every single one looks amazing!!
Thanks!
Lindsay

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

Those look delicious! I just bought two packages of pizza dough from Trader Joe's and wasn't sure what I was going to do with both of them but they are so cheap I could pass it up (99 cents).

Now I have something else to do with them other than just make pizza! Thanks for sharing :)

alissa said...

Wow - these look delicious! I definitely want to make these the next time I have a party - I'm sure they would be a huge hit! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays!
Alissa

Rhondi said...

These look amazing! I gave you an award today Julie: http://bigmamashomekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

Jerri said...

These look really yummy!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites last week!

Jen said...

Yummy! These look so tasty! Thanks for sharing with Made From Scratch Tuesday!

dining tables said...

This looks tasty. Chicken and bacon are really nice together.

Post a Comment

Blogging tips