Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Drop Biscuits

When my children are involved in activities I try to be very supportive.  It's one of those things I learned from my own mother.

She was always at our games, recitals, events, and concerts no matter how far away they were.  I think that's amazing because there are 9 of us and when we were all at home we were at least in one sport and one kind of music each.  So that's up to 18 things going on at any given time.  Amazing!

Where we live we are very blessed to have our city sports be super cheap so I have let my children be involved in many of them so they can find their niche and have lots of fun learning new things.

Because of this we've discovered great things about our children's personalities.  I've also discovered certain aspects of my personality that I have to keep a tight rein on, for the sake of my children and the sake of the other children, and other good sides of my personality that I keep!

Here are a few:
1.  I love to shout our support and encouragement.  My girls still like it but I am finding my son is quite embarrassed by his mom cheering from the stands.
2.  When someone is not being fair (ie another child going in my child's area and getting the ball or not ever passing the ball because my child isn't "good enough") I get kinda ticked!  It's all I can do not to go and give the other kid a piece of my mind.
3.  I love to be there for my child and see the excitement when they finally make a basket or a goal or hit the ball and make it on base.  I kinda get super excited and they kinda get a treat (bribing's okay, right?)
4.  When other parents on the sidelines start talking trash about a child on the field I may or may not have told them to "shut up and be nice--we are here to learn and have fun" (come on it's only kindergarten).

So while I work on my character traits I also have to make dinner on crazy nights.  Especially now that we are in the middle of softball season.  One of my go to items lately are these biscuits.  They are super fast and easy and perfect for a side dish for dinner on a night when we have games. 


Drop Biscuits


2 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. sugar
3/4 t. salt
1 c. buttermilk, chilled
8 T. (one stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled

1.  Heat oven to 475 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silpat liner (these are an amazing invention--totally worth your money).

2.  In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, stir together the chilled buttermilk and melted butter until the butter forms small clumps. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula just until the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture slightly pulls away from the edges of the bowl.

Using a large scoop, scoop out mounds of the dough and drop them onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1 ½ inches apart. Bake the biscuits until the tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven, brush with additional melted butter. Serve warm.  Enjoy!



Blogging tips