Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Zucchini Pizza

I know, I know...zucchini pizza?

Well when the zucchini just won't stop growing and all your efforts at killing it just won't work and you are finding random bags left at your door you know it is time to get super creative.

Anybody with me on this?

If you have never grown something before, try a zucchini plant.  They are super sturdy (trust me they never die especially when you want them to), they always produce many zucchinis (have you heard of the phrase that one zucchini plant will feed a neighborhood?--it's totally true), and they are very good in everything from desserts (chocolate zucchini cupcakes or zucchini bread) to main dishes (pizza, meatloaf, zucchini boats) to side dishes (grilled zucchini).

The other day my friend gave me some round zucchini (thanks Aubrey).  I had never seen ones like these.  But I knew they would be perfect for my next zucchini idea.
Pizza.

Plus I was hoping that if I slathered it with cheese and pepperoni my kids would eat it!  They are getting "fonder" of zucchini but hey one day I know they are going to appreciate all my creative ideas with this plentiful little vegetable.  Maybe!?!

Zucchini Pizza


Round zucchini
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Garlic Seasoning (I prefer Santa Maria)
Pizza sauce
Mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni

1.  Preheat your grill.  Cut your zucchini into 1/4" slices.  When your grill is ready brush one side of zucchini with olive oil and lay flat on grill.  Brush olive oil on side facing up and sprinkle with garlic seasoning.  Watch carefully so they don't burn.  I keep my grill at medium low the whole time.  When the bottom side is light brown and has some nice grill marks, flip over.  Immediately put pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese on each zucchini piece and let sit in grill, with top down, until bottom is light brown and cheese is melted.  Remove carefully and serve.  Enjoy!
Blogging tips