Friday, November 25, 2011

Peppermint Bon Bon Cookies

I counted today (I know, I know...I do know how to count.  Amazing!).

Guess how many days till Christmas?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay did you guess right?  There are 30 days!!??!!

That is so crazy and you are probably out shopping for Christmas presents right now.  Speaking of shopping.  Are you a Black Friday shopper?

I'm not.  I really don't like it for several reasons. 

One--I hate getting up early.

Two--I really don't like to shop so why do I want to go fight with a whole bunch of people for things.  I would rather stay in my nice warm bed and spend $10 for the same thing as long as I don't have to fight with anyone or get up early for it.

Three--I try really hard to be done with Christmas by Thanksgiving so there is really no reason to be out shopping because I am usually done.  

I know I'm weird and hopefully you like me after this but I do LOVE the Christmas spirit and I am so excited that I can finally start posting Christmas recipes.  

So here's to Black Friday, Christmas in 30 days and some delicious peppermint cookies.  

(and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!)

Peppermint Bon Bon Cookies


Cookie:
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup finely crushed peppermint candies
6 Tbsp. granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Additional coarsely crushed peppermint candies, divided
Topping:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp. milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat liner or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

2.  Combine first semi-sweet chocolate, butter, and unsweetened chocolate in a large saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in crushed peppermint candies and sugar. Let cool 30 minutes.

3.  Add eggs to melted chocolate, 1 at a time, stirring well. Stir in vanilla and peppermint extracts.

4.  Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; add to chocolate mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and chill dough 2 hours or until firm.

5.  Shape dough into 1 1/2″ balls; place on baking sheets. Bake for 12-13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and cracked on top. Sprinkle coarsely chopped peppermints onto cookies; press candy lightly into cookies. Let cookies sit 5 minutes on baking sheets and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

5.  Whisk together powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over cooled cookies, if desired. Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired, and sprinkle again with chopped peppermint. Let cookies stand until glaze and chocolate are firm.  Enjoy!


Blogging tips