Monday, November 28, 2011

Rolo Cookies

Now that Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is coming up I have been thinking about what we are going to be giving to our neighbors.

Cookies are one of our favorites things to give.  There are so many varieties and they look so cute all packaged up with a bow.

These Rolo cookies have been on my to do list for a long time, especially since my sister sent me the recipe ages ago.  I kept putting it off, mostly because I never had any Rolos around and I always forgot when I went to the store.

I finally remembered, yeah, so the kids and I made these beauties the other night.  The kids thought they were amazing and asked for them in their lunch everyday (I think they love the surprise in the middle).  These are a nice simple, delicious cookie and one that your neighbors (and your kids) would love.

Just in case you were wondering, we are still counting.  It's 27 days.

Rolo Cookies

(click here for printable version)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Bag of Rolo candies, unwrapped
Sugar (for rolling the cookie dough balls in)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Set aside.

3. With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time. Next, add in vanilla extract. Mix until blended.

4. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and blend well. Take a spoonful of chocolate cookie dough and wrap around one Rolo candy. Make sure Rolo is completely covered with cookie dough. Roll dough ball in sugar and place on prepared baking sheet. Continue until you run out of cookie dough.

5. Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.  Enjoy!


Blogging tips