Friday, October 7, 2011

New York Times AMAZING Chocolate Chip Cookie

If you saw last month, I participated in Mom's Crazy Cooking challenge.  This month our challenge is Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I was excited for this one because if you have noticed there is not one chocolate chip cookie recipe on my blog.  There is a reason for that, not a very good one, but one none the less.

You see, I am not a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies.  Never have been.  I seriously could take them or leave them, doesn't matter to me.

I've thought a lot about it and I think I don't like them because there was never enough chocolate in them.  It was cookie dough with a chocolate piece here and there. Not my cup of tea!
Because of that I never make them.  Once in a while the hubby will make cookies but then he usually ends up making peanut butter chocolate chip so I can have the peanut butter--my favorite.

Well I was on a mission to change that with this challenge.  I wanted to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I absolutely loved.  One that met all my expectations and fulfilled my dreams of cookieness.

Well after many tries and lots and lots of help from many taste testers, I think I have found THE one.  This cookie was amazing (maybe because it's all the chocolate).  I love all the chocolate--seriously what gets better than that--but also love the idea of using different kinds of flour.  I think that's the trick.  Hint: if you have a kitchen scale, use the weight measurements for this recipe, it works beautifully.
I found this lovely lady over at Other Side of Fifty so go check out her other recipes and don't forget to click on the "like" button under my recipe.

Photobucket

New York Times Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookie


2 c. minus 2 Tbsp. (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
1 2/3 c. (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt (like kosher salt)
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 c.) unsalted butter
1 1/4 c. (10 ounces) light brown sugar
1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. (8 ounces) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. natural vanilla extract
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
sea salt

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Stir all chocolate into dough using a wooden spoon. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls on to the prepared cookie sheet, then sprinkle lightly with sea salt and baked until golden brown, but still soft, 10-12 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 3-4 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day.  Enjoy!



Blogging tips